Guest Artist & Ensemble Coaching
Guest Artist. Vocal Coach. Ensemble Director.
To me, all of these roles share a common core — getting people engaged and singing.
I LOVE working with singers. Getting people together and singing is one on my greatest joys.
Whether the singers are in a choir or gathered around the campfire, I enjoy using my voice, experience and improvisational skills to aid the work vocal groups are already doing.
I have spent over 15 years directing ensembles and have worked with singers of all ages and skills.
I have also collaborated and performed with choirs, small ensembles and artists from other disciplines (dance, visual artsand spoken word). I use improvisational forms and structures to help the members of groups play, bond and trust themselves and each other.
Let me bring my passion for ensemble singing and my leadership experience to your ensemble, students or choir.
Skills I teach
- Vocal technique for ensemble singers, including warming up
- Communicating and connecting with the music and the audience
- Circle singing and improvisation
- Blending voices
- Song interpretation
- Overall presentation & stage presence
- How to use a microphone
Singing is such an important part of so many community events. Singing together lets us act as community members and individuals at the same time. It forms community and deepens our experiences.
But leading a group of singers can present challenges.
- How do you get people ready to sing?
- What should you sing?
- How do you teach new songs?
- How do you put songs in a comfortable range for the majority of singers?
- How do you choose songs that are simple enough for young singers but meaningful enough for adults?
- How do you use songs to connect to the purpose or mission of your event?
I have the experience to lead singing at your event. I know a gajillion songs (only a slight exaggeration!) and I know how to teach them simply and quickly so your group gets up and singing right away. I will also share technical tips to make sure everyone leaves your event in good voice and good spirits.
I teach a series of singing workshops 2-3 times a year that cover a range of vocal skills and styles. Join me at one of my scheduled public events or invite me to teach a workshop to your group of singers, choir or students.
Visit my workshops page to see my current workshop offerings and schedule.
Clients, Ensembles & Projects
- Echoes of Peace Community Choir
- Kulture Klub Collaborative
- Minneapolis Community & Technical College Choirs
- Minnehaha Unity Church
- Northeast Middle School Musical Theater Program
- Spices: A Women’s Ensemble
- Wild Rice Festival
To discuss having Sarah work with your group, get in touch.